“No matter what type of snow experience you’re looking for, Mt Buller is the perfect winter wonderland”
Mount Buller sits a 3hours drive away from Melbourne, VIC, and offers various terrains perfect for skiers and boarders of all experience levels. Whether you are an experienced skier or a beginner, Mount Buller provides the ideal snow experience with scenic chairlifts, a world-class ski & snowboard school, retail and rental outlets, toboggan parks and so much more.
- 22 lifts (Victoria’s largest lift system)
- Chip-enabled B-TAG lift passes; this way you don’t have to take your lift pass out of your pocket for every trip.
- Terrain mix; 20% beginner, 45% intermediate, 35% advanced
- Longest run – 2.5km
- Over 30 cafés, restaurants and bars
- 248kms from Melbourne
- Closest major snow resort to an International Airport
- Season open dates; 6 June 2015 – September
- Snow cams are available to check regular updates
Lift passes and lessons
When you purchase lift tickets online more than a week in advance, you’ll save 10% (subject to dates. Tertiary students are also offered half price lift passes every Tuesday and Wednesday – and 20% off lift tickets any other day.
- Family Lift Tickets; 2x adults & 2x children = $330
- For an extra child $49
Lessons offered at Mt Buller are divided up by age group, and take place around 3-4 times a day (subject to day). First timers are able to enjoy a free 2hr Discover lesson with their Discover Pass which also includes access to five of the beginners lifts.
Whether or not you are a beginner, you should always take a lesson whether to refine your skills, or just ensure yourself that you are ready to be hitting the slopes – DO NOT over estimate yourself.
Mount Buller offers a Kid’s Centre available to children as young as 3months. Bunyips Ski & Snowboard School starts at 3yrs – it is also mandatory that children where helmets in any ski & snowboard school program – they are included in all kids rental packages.
- Bunyips & Buller Kids Programs are offered from 1-5 days and range in price from $93 to $448
- Buller Kids 1st Time Lift & Lesson; $124
Mt Buller has 14 rental and retail outlets across the mountain (low cost – luxury).
Away from the snow
Not only is Mt Buller an elite skiing and snowboarding destination, it also offers a variety of activities to keep you entertained off of the slopes. These include a day spa, cinema, sled dog tours, gymnasium, sports hall, snowshoe tours, helicopter flights, National Alpine Museum and more. Check out the Winter Events Calendar to keep up to date with the weekly entertainment (here).
Eateries and Cafés
- Kooroora Hotel
- ABOM Café and Bar
- Aprés Bar
- Food Works is also available for grocery shopping
Where to stay
For the ultimate winter wonderland experience, STAY ON THE MOUNTAIN. Being so closely located to the ski lifts and village you are able to take your journey to a whole new level. Various accommodation options are available both on mountain and off – ranging from apartments to hotels, b&bs and lodges.
Free shuttle services and oversnow taxi services are available.
A popular route for locals is to drive from Melbourne to Mansfield, and leave the car there in low cost carparks, and then jump onto the coach services that run to and from the mountain. Coach services are also offered all the way to and from Melbourne. Mount Buller is located 248km from Melbourne and is also accessible via airport transfer.
If you are driving all the way there yourself – snow chains are required by LAW if you are staying overnight. Unless you live on the mountain, you are not allowed access further than the carparks that are by the entrance to the alpine resort. Upon entry you will reach a toll booth, and you will be required to pay an entry fee. From the carpark, you must get a taxi – so cash on hand is necessary (be sure to remember which carpark you are parked in). Snow chains are available for hire and fitting at the Mt Buller rental store in Mansfield.
Visit mtbuller.com.au or download the smartphone app for all the very latest.
For all the latest news and top tips on the mountain pick up a Mount Buller News paper and the Insiders Guide available in the visitors centre, and majority of the retail outlets.
For my TOP TIPS FOR FAMILY SKI TRIPS click (here).
Why every family should take a ski trip;
- To experience the exhilaration you get from skiing / snowboarding
- To see the snow
- To have family game & movie nights
- It’s more isolated – meaning less time spent on phones
- You’re not likely to run into people you know
- It’s popular among Aussies to work at ski resorts out of high school so you may be introducing your teens to a possible career goal
- It’s a bonding experience
- Unlike other sports, skiing is very easy to learn
- You’ll also get a great view
- Skiing has no speed limits
- Skiing is a good (and fun) form of exercise
- You can meet new people